29 Oct Queensland re-opens its Skilled Migration Nomination Program
Posted at 14:03h in FeaturedState Nominations finally opened for Skilled Visas for this financial year on 26 October 2021 but so far, nominations are only open for candidates already living in Queensland.
There are 4 Streams under which candidates can apply:
- Skilled workers living in Queensland
- Skilled workers living offshore – this is currently CLOSED and Queensland said they will review it in December 2021.
- Graduates of a Queensland university
- Small business owners operating in regional Queensland
For all streams, candidates can nominate any occupation that is on the Medium and Long Term Skills Shortage List (MLTSSL) or even the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) and this is very good news for QLD hopeful applicants!
Queensland Skilled Migration Nomination Program Selection Process
You can’t apply for State Nomination before QLD selects you. You must first submit an Expression of Interest (EOI). After Queensland selects you, then you can apply for State Nomination.
You should only submit an EOI if you meet all Department of Home Affairs and QLD requirements.
Here is a summary of the QLD requirements for each stream:
Skilled workers living in Queensland
You can nominate any occupation on the MLTSSL and STSOL but you must be working full-time in QLD in your nominated occupation for at least 3 months (in the case of the Subclass 491 Regional Provisional Visa) or at least 6 months (in the case of the Subclass 190 Skilled Permanent Nominated Visa).
You must score at least 80 or higher in the Points Test if you are seeking nomination for the for the Subclass 190 Skilled Permanent Nominated Visa. 65 points is still enough for the Subclass 491 Regional Provisional Visa.
You must have Proficient English and the company you have been working for must be registered in QLD and they must offer you employment for a further 12 months.
Graduates of a Queensland university
On top of that, Master and Bachelor Degree graduates must also have:
- GPA 6.0 or higher
- Proficient English or higher
- Minimum of 3 months work experience of at least 20 hours per week (after graduation) in the nominated or closely related occupation
- Job offer for a minimum of 20 hours per week for 12 months
Small Business Operators in Queensland
- Candidate must nominate an occupation on the MLTSSL and STSOL and be able to obtain a positive Skills Assessment;
- Must have purchased an existing business in Regional QLD for a minimum purchase price of $100,000.00
- That business must have been in operation in Regional QLD for at least 2 years (unless if purchased before 1 April 2021 – when 1 year applies);
- The applicant must have 100% ownership of the business – partnerships or joint ventures are not eligible;
- Must have managed the business for 6 months before application and must not currently be studying;
- Must employ 1 employee who is an Australian resident/citizen for at least 20 hours per week;
- Start-ups operating for 2 years with a minimum of $200,000 turnover in the 12 months prior to application – now acceptable.
- Commission agents or leasing agents of franchises (such as petrol stations), and home-based businesses (such as courier and cleaning businesses) will not be considered.
This is a stream that has been talked about a lot but not so easy to qualify for. It is for people who are in QLD already, holding a visa with full work rights and who have purchased an existing business in regional Queensland.
This stream is open for nominations for the Subclass 491 Regional Provisional Visa only and there are several requirements to meet:
As you can see, the requirements are complex, and this is just a summary. If you are in Queensland and think you may qualify, please contact us on email@example.com and use “I AM IN QLD” on the subject line, telling us a bit about yourself – our Community Manager will then contact you so we can assist you with a Skilled Visa nominated by Queensland.